Kid Crafts: Valentine’s Day Bird Feeders
Valentine’s Day is coming up, and what better way to celebrate than sharing love with friends and birds? This simple craft makes a great Valentine’s Day gift (and is super yummy for our wing-flapping friends). The best part? You probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry!
What You’ll Need:
- Cooking spray
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup water
- One envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 4 cups birdseed
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- String, ribbon or twine
How to Make:
- Spray a spoon with cooking spray and mix food ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Spray the inside of your cookie cutter and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Fill your cookie cutter with the birdseed mixture, making sure to pack it tightly together.
- Once the cookie cutter is full, make a small hole in the middle (you can use a chop stick, straw, kabob stick, finger, etc.).
- Remove the birdfeeder from the cookie cutter and repeat until all the birdseed mixture is used (you may have to re-spray the cookie cutter periodically).
- Set your birdfeeders out to firm overnight.
- Loop string or ribbon through the pre-made holes (add homemade gift tags if you’re giving away as a gift).
Depending on the size of your cookie cutter, you should have about a dozen heart-shaped bird feeders ready to make their debut outside. And, your child will have a great winter memory of crafting at home!
Check back on the Gogabo blog for more craft ideas (and other useful information for parents). And, don’t forget to sign up for other winter activities available through Gogabo’s easy checkout system. In just a few clicks of a mouse, your child will be all set for indoor play!